This hearty, protein-packed chili can feed the whole family for only $5. For those trying to eat healthy on a budget, this one’s a win-win.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1/2 lb. lean ground meat (15% fat)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 15 oz. canned kidney beans with liquid
- 29 oz. canned diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
Brown meat and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350°F in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
Add undrained beans, tomatoes with liquid, and chili powder.
Reduce heat to low (250°F in an electric skillet), cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve with shredded cabbage, low-fat sour cream, cilantro, or grated cheese.
- Add other vegetables, such as bell peppers, carrots, celery, and corn, if desired.
- Add cumin powder, dried oregano, or red pepper flakes in step 2 for extra flavor!
Source: Food Hero